Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Rockstar meets sobriety

I've been sober for about 8 years now. They say in "the program" its one day at a time. The problem with that is counting one day at a time gets to be a very large number and I can't keep track anymore. Sure I could divide 365 into the number of days sober and I'd get a nice clean number, but that still doesn't help me when I can't remember how many days its been in the first place.

Besides, I hate math.

None of that really matters though. What this is all about is my on again, off again love affair with Rockstar energy drinks. I've tried the other varieties out there but there is just something completely repulsive that makes me chose the most ridiculous of the bunch: Rockstar. It tastes like Sweet Tarts and cough syrup and that combination is just delicious to me. The flavor was also akin to that "learn-to-love-it" flavor of beer. Not the same taste mind you, but certainly in the acquired taste category. So the Rockstars were kind of an alcohol substitute.

I went for a long span where I was downing these things like water. It got to the point that I wasn't even getting any energy from them at all. In fact, there were a great many times that I received the adverse effect from these little cans of consumable combustion. So last night when I returned home after a rather trying day I thought I'd pick myself up a little can of liquid fun. It had been a long while since I've imbibed and thought "hell, my kidney has probably recovered from the last can."

So I drank said can around 7pm last night. Ate dinner and chased it all down with a Dr. Pepper. When beddy-bye time came rolling around I thought I'd be out like a light despite the elephant-piss sized load of caffeine and vitamin B I'd ingested.

Smash-cut to me laying in bed, staring at the ceiling all flippin' night long. All night. No sleep.

The morale of the story is I think I learned my lesson. The comedy of the story is now Im still awake and technically must be until 5 o'clock, so the only thing I can think of to keep me that way is....
you guessed it...another cursed rockstar.

1 comment: