Friday, June 15, 2012

ReThinking Anime

So, as a general rule, I really can't stand anime. This is a different view than I had when I was much younger. My group of friends would flock to the Palm Theatre (the only local theatre that screens anything other than big studio pictures) and line up to watch "Akira" or whatever other offering was made to us from across the pacific. As an even younger child my recesses were daring missions to rescue Min Mei from zentradi aliens in my trusty veritech fighter.

However as time went on I found it very hard to be satisfied with some of the genre's most common conventions. First and foremost, Each film seems to follow the following format: Big exciting and action packed introduction followed by long-winded boring as hell exposition, concluded by action finale. Obviously I have no problem with the action packed part...its that middle exposition that is not only mind-numbing in its over complexity but it is staged so abysmally that I'd rather watch earwigs mate.

There's a point in "Ghost in the Shell" in which Bato and Kusanagi are having a discussion while floating in a boat. Their conversation at this point in the movie is essentially the whole sum total and theme that the movie is all about. But we, as the audience just see still bodies floating in a boat talking back in forth with deadpan care or concern for what they are saying or the world around them. I wanted to tip the boat over so they'd sink to their deaths (assuming cyborgs can't swim that is).

Secondly: Androgyny. WTF? Girl, boy? What the hell are you and why does virtually every anime flavor have some androgynous character or five running around. They discuss things like the nature of existence as if they've got some firm grip on reality, but really the only thing they're gripping is the latest clearance sale at JC Penny (or the Japanese equivalent.)

Finally (for now, I could go on for a very long time with this): Do you people not believe in weapons that actually fit your body size? Does bigger really mean better?

I mean look at that stupid thing. We're not talking big bulking Conan sword here. This is like the side of a Chevy pick-up truck. Why is it covered in masking tape too? I just don't get you "Over-compensating man."

Ok all that aside...there IS something I still like and am more and more impressed by as anime matures. The overall design is just gorgeous (over-sized weapons excluded). There's something in the simplicity of the character's faces that just invite in the viewer. Costume design is ludicrous and doesn't make sense but from a design standpoint it's like each character is wearing their own banzai tree of complimenting colors, shapes and patterns.

Those shapes and designs are brought to life with vibrant color. The patterns and shapes are often replicated throughout the background and surrounding images.


"Pepper Robot II" courtesy of http://artgerm.deviantart.com/


So the more I look at Anime as an art style, (and I suppose someone out there will correct me on this. Maybe its Manga I'm referring to) I find very few complaints with it at all! It's just the unfortunate stories and direction that go along with 90% of anime out there that drives me bonkers.

Perhaps its the juxtaposition of a very clean and refined artistic movement with amateur at best story-telling that drags the whole down.

There are some fantastic stories out there. Hayao Miyazaki is a master of both story and art, for instance. But does that have to be the exception?

Can I like anime because it is, at its core, just extremely good looking?

Am I over-thinking things or expecting too much from the genre?

Or should I just go back to watching earwigs mate?

No comments:

Post a Comment